Is slowing down the circular economy the right thing to do?
According to Paula Tejón Carbajal from Greenpeace, there is a need to slow-down the Circular Economy and to :
- Go beyond recycling as the main concept of the Circular Economy
- To focus on designing products/services for Circularity from the outset, and
- Most importantly to slow down consumption and to reject unnecessary products:
- Reducing the consumption of production and materials, resources, and energy altogether.
- Reversing the waste hierarchy and putting ‘Refusal of unnecessary products’ at the top.
- Rolling out mindful ecological designs, balanced value creation across the supply chain, and enabling recovery, repair, reuse etc.